Wednesday, May 27, 2009

My Other Jump Rope.

Double dutch in the Irish Channel. New Orleans, LA 1991, by Bryce Lankard

Yesterday after work I was feeling grumpy, so I went looking for a game at the court next to the workout facility here. I shot around a little, trying to make eye contact with the few guys who were entering the building to workout. Said hi to one guy and he frowned. He actually frowned at me.

Luck not turning around, I see the Associate Warden drive up. He’s kind of a big shot around here, but I go ahead and challenge him to a game. He looks just like Howie Long and sounds exactly like Bill Clinton. He shot right back with a challenge of golf--of course.

Finally, this one guy drives up. I size him up. He’s short. Good for me. He’s older than me. That’s also good. He’s carrying a jump rope and goes in, then comes back out in shorts. Alright. I ask him if he’s up for a game. “No, I came out to look for my other jump rope.”

Who has two jump ropes?

1 comment:

acw said...

we're chuckling. a