Thursday, June 11, 2009

Halfway, Rotation One.




A little more than halfway through rotation one, and I should have just a little bit of wisdom in my back pocket by now, or at least been through some useful experiences. Here's a short list of things I've learned:

1. Be very careful where you put your penis. I knew this already, but seeing warts, sores, bleeding, HIV, traumatized testicles, and unrelenting itchiness really drives the message home.

2. If you don't follow up on something, it probably won't get done. Mentioning something to someone in the hallway, like "I think Mr. So-and-so needs a consult for his CHRONIC and HORRIBLE hemorrhoids, doesn't mean that a consult will magically happen.

3. I'm very comfortable looking up people's noses, and at their penises, and in their butts. And I actually think I know what to look for now, which I never thought would happen.

4. Prison (including the health clinic) belongs to the Correction Officers. It's their show, and we medical staff are just along for the ride.

5. Most things get better no matter what you do, or don't do, for your patient. Thank goodness.

No comments: